Laerskool M.W de Wet Primary’s history began on 15 October 1947. The school opened with a learner total of 118 and 4 temporary educators and principal (Mr. F.J. Potgieter). The school was originally known as “Rietfontein Ladbouhoeweskool” and was situated on the c/o Willow-and Highway.
On 4 November 1947 the name of the school was officially changed to M.W de Wet. The school was named after Mr. M.W de Wet who was the Principal from 1906 – 1923 of the Government school in Edenvale. Mr. de Wet not only played a roll as principal of the school but also in the development field of Christian believes, cultural and educational field.
On 18 January 1949 Mr. J.N Heÿdenrÿch were employed as the first permanent principal of Laerskool M.W de Wet.
On 14 December 1951 the school moved to their new premises situated on the c/o 15th Avenue & 2nd Street, Edenvale.
On 6 January 1992 Laerskool M.W de Wet amalgamated with Laerskool Edenvale. The two schools had to amalgamate because the Afrikaans speaking learners became very few in Edenvale. On 8 January 1992 there were a total of 473 learners enrolled in the school.
On 15 October 1997 Laerskool M.W de Wet was 50 years old.
On 12 January 1998 the school opened their 1st Grade R class.
On 16 January 2002 Laerskool M.W de Wet became a parallel medium school. A Grade R and Grade 1 English class was opened on this day.
On 13 January 2003 the school’s name changed to Laerskool M.W de Wet Primary.